CAFES Advising Support & Options
WHEN DO I UTILIZE PROFESSIONAL ACADEMIC ADVISORS?
Professional advisors provide assistance with navigating the university system. This includes things like:
- Academic policies and procedures
- Long-term schedule planning
- Change of major contracts
- Graduation checks for seniors
- Academic probation issues
- Readmission questions and processes
- Study Abroad questions (after student consults with the Study Abroad Office)
Scheduled appointments are required and each appointment can last up to 30 minutes. You can email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request an appointment. Please include your name, major, EMPL ID and clearly state your questions or concern.
WHEN DO I UTILIZE PEER ADVISORS?
Peer Advisors assist with general questions and provide drop-in assistance (10 to 15 minutes in length) to accommodate your needs. A student can drop by the office (modular 74M-A) without scheduling an appointment to receive academic support. The types of drop-in topics would include:
- General questions about policy
- Quickly review completed Poly Planner, to check for accuracy
- Help with course transfers by using assist.org
- Questions about summer school
- First-year student, first-time registration process (during fall quarter for winter registration)
- Suggestions for campus resources
WHEN DO I UTILIZE FACULTY ADVISORS?
Faculty Advisors can be visited during their individual office hours (posted by office doors, or check with departmental office). Faculty Advisors are experts in their field, and are an excellent resource for the following issues:
- Concentration Questions
- Internship Opportunities
- Industry Connections
- Senior Projects
- Career Options
ADDITIONAL HELPFUL ADVISING RESOURCES:
Mustang Success Center: www.success.calpoly.edu
Advising Resources: advising.calpoly.edu
CAFES Advising: cafes.calpoly.edu/academic-advising
University forms and policies: registrar.calpoly.edu