We're so glad you're here. CAFES Advising is passionate about supporting transfer students as they transition to and through Cal Poly.
To help ease that transition, we’ve put together some information specific to our college – check it out below. Additionally, we encourage you to explore the general academic advising information for all Cal Poly transfer students and to connect with the Transfer Center for campus wide transfer resources, events and support.
Read Dean Andrew Thulin's welcome letter and click here to watch a video from one of the college's professors — a former transfer student — and hear his advice for Cal Poly transfer students.
Future Transfer Students
If you're a future Cal Poly transfer student, please visit Cal Poly Admissions.
Newly Admitted Transfer Students / Suggested Courses
- Do these important things between receiving your offer of admission and beginning your first day of classes in Fall.
- Don't worry about transfer credits just yet. The processing will take some time, but you'll be notified when your credits have been evaluated. Learn more about transfer credit from the Office of the Registrar.
- Explore these helpful transfer specific resources for recently accepted transfer students. Read advice from Cal Poly transfer students, and staff and faculty that were transfer students themselves!
First Quarter at Cal Poly
Here are some important things to do during your first fall quarter at Cal Poly.
Registration (Plan for Winter)
From now on, you'll register as a continuing student. The overall process remains the same, but the details will be different from when you registered for fall quarter.
Each quarter you will be given a date/time for registration, which is listed on the right side of the Student Center. This date and time is based on your actual academic progress level (how many degree applicable units you have completed), which is found on your academic progress gauge in PolyProfile. It will be updated during week 4 of each quarter.
If you have questions about what to plan or how to use the tools, contact us.
Focusing on Academics
All new transfer students in CAFES will be added to a PolyLearn site (Cal Poly-branded Moodle platform, similar to Blackboard) that you can use to arrange carpools or study groups, learn of upcoming events, and find great tips for settling in at Cal Poly.
To find other academic support resources, including tutoring, check out the Academic Skills Center.
Faculty and Staff
People to Introduce yourself to
- Obviously we're biased, but we think it's important to get to know us!
- To reboot and have a place to study during the day, check out the Multicultural Agriculture Program (MAP), a great place to study, use computers/microwaves and meet other CAFES Transfer students.
- We highly recommend transfer students get to know their CAFES faculty and professors during office hours or by scheduling appointments. They will serve as valuable resources for internships, industry connections, senior project information, graduate school, and career advice.
- Schedule an appointment with our Career Counselor, to discuss the possibilities of what you can accomplish with your major.
- Chat with our college Librarian.
Transfer Center Events and Programs
The Transfer Center is a great resource and physical space to connect with current transfer students, find community, study and more.
- Stop by their space – Bldg. 52 Rm. E30 – for coffee, a place to study or heat up your lunch, to connect with a transfer student assistant, and more.
- Attend a Transfer Center Program or Event – bowling, study breaks, dialogues and more!
- During October we celebrate National Transfer Student Week!
- Email email@example.com for any questions you may have or for support in connecting to resources across campus.
Second Quarter and Beyond
Here are some wise things to do once you're starting to feel settled at Cal Poly.
Research & Department Involvement
This is just a sampling of the research opportunities in our college. Also talk with the your faculty to find the right project for you!