We're so glad you're here. CAFES Advising is passionate about supporting transfer students as they transition to and through Cal Poly.
To help ease that transition, we've put together some information specific to our college. Check it out below, along with the general information applicable to all transfer students at Cal Poly.
Future Transfer Students
If you're a future Cal Poly transfer student, please visit Cal Poly Admissions.
Newly Admitted Transfer Students / Suggested Courses
- Do these important things between receiving your offer of admission and beginning your first day of classes in Fall.
- Don't worry about transfer credits just yet. The processing will take some time, but you'll be notified when your credits have been evaluated. Learn more about transfer credit from the Office of the Registrar.
First Quarter at Cal Poly
Here are some important things to do during your first fall quarter at Cal Poly.
Registration (Plan for Winter)
From now on, you'll register as a continuing student. The overall process remains the same, but the details will be different from when you registered for fall quarter.
Each quarter you will be given a date/time for registration, which is listed on the right side of the Student Center. This date and time is based on your actual academic progress level (how many degree applicable units you have completed), which is found on your academic progress gauge in PolyProfile. It will be updated during week 4 of each quarter.
If you have questions about what to plan or how to use the tools, contact us.
Focusing on Academics
All new transfer students in CAFES will be added to a PolyLearn site (Cal Poly-branded Moodle platform, similar to Blackboard) that you can use to arrange carpools or study groups, learn of upcoming events, and find great tips for settling in at Cal Poly.
To find other academic support resources, including tutoring, check out the Academic Skills Center.
Faculty and Staff
People to Introduce yourself to
- Obviously we're biased, but we think it's important to get to know us!
- To reboot and have a place to study during the day, check out the Multicultural Agriculture Program (MAP), a great place to study, use computers/microwaves and meet other CAFES Transfer students.
- We highly recommend transfer students get to know their CAFES faculty and professors during office hours or by scheduling appointments. They will serve as valuable resources for internships, industry connections, senior project information, graduate school, and career advice.
- Schedule an appointment with our Career Counselor, Krista Burke, to discuss the possibilities of what you can accomplish with your major.
- Chat with our college Librarian. CAFES specialist coming soon!
National Transfer Student Week
OCTOBER 21-25, 2019
Join us in celebrating you the third week of October! Check for updates on our National Transfer Student Week celebration page.
Second Quarter and Beyond
Here are some wise things to do once you're starting to feel settled at Cal Poly.
Research & Department Involvement
This is just a sampling of the research opportunities in our college. Also talk with the your faculty to find the right project for you!
- Get involved with SURP- CAFES Undergraduate Research Program.
- Centers and Institutes
- The new Science and Agriculture Teaching and Research Complex
- Learn by Doing - Explore up-and-coming opportunities to get involved with, within your Department